As a copy editor, one of the most important aspects of my job is to ensure that the sentences in a piece of content are grammatically correct and adhere to proper subject-verb agreement. This is essential for effective communication, as it allows readers to understand the meaning of the text without confusion.
Subject-verb agreement refers to the relationship between the subject of a sentence and the verb that follows it. The verb must agree with the subject in both number and tense. In other words, if the subject is singular, the verb must be singular, and if the subject is plural, the verb must be plural.
Here are some examples of incorrect subject-verb agreement:
– The team plays their best every game.
– Each of the students were given a homework assignment.
– My friend and I is going to the movies tonight.
To correct these sentences, the subject and verb must be made to agree. Here`s how:
– The team plays its best every game. (Note: “team” is singular, so “plays” must be singular as well)
– Each of the students was given a homework assignment. (Note: “each” is singular, so “was” must be singular as well)
– My friend and I are going to the movies tonight. (Note: “friend and I” is plural, so “are” must be plural as well)
Correct subject-verb agreement is essential for clear and effective writing. It can also have a significant impact on SEO, as search engines favor content that is well-written and grammatically sound. When conducting keyword research and optimizing content for search engines, it`s important to keep in mind the importance of good grammar and subject-verb agreement.
In conclusion, whether you`re a copy editor, content writer, or simply a lover of good grammar, understanding subject-verb agreement is essential for effective communication. By taking the time to ensure that your sentences are grammatically correct, you can create content that is clear, concise, and well-received by readers and search engines alike.